I am flying right along now. Last year at 20k, I hit the wall of middle pretty hard. The wall of middle is the part where the beginning of a story is done, shaped, left behind and the rest of what happens looms in front of you. Now, I'm not totally enthused about beginnings except for planning them but I did think they were easier to write than the middle and even the end.

Most of my stories don't even have a finished end.

This year, my new mindset has allowed me to cruise right along, ignoring the fact that I am in the middle of the story. To me there is no middle, there is just unwritten words that need to be put down in a coherent order. Now, I haven't allowed myself to go back and read anything I've written from Nov. 1 until today. If I did, I might realize that I suck and then I'd give up. I do know that I am a minimalist in my description and settings. Right now my characters basically move and function in white space. The good news about that is it's easily fixed.

Keeping on going. Have to hit 24,594 today.

Things that distracted me on the internet today:

~ The NaNoWriMo site went down for some maintenance today. My refresh button got a work out waiting for it to come back up. I wrote words, I wanted to put the count in!

~ Had a great idea to send my character to Alexandria, Egypt in a flashback. Somewhere around the time of the French Revolution. Pretty much exactly when the Siege of Alexandria happened. Wikipedia to the rescue and it makes a great scene.

Non-internet distractions:

~ Picked up a new keyboard today. Nothing ergonomic, can't stand those. This one has lots and lots of buttons. One touch mail, one touch mute, and some customizable favorites buttons for programs I use all the time. I played. It had to be done.

Accomplishments:

~ 23,092 written. Amazing that I am going into week number 2 and am nearly halfway through on my way to 50k. I've promised myself some fun distractions when I get there. Very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment