Some Amazing Validation

In the middle of my second round of revisions on a short story I've been working on since early December, a tweet goes out from Nathan Bransford  regarding THE SECRET YEAR from Jennifer Hubbard.  I'll be picking this one up and my teenager will likely swipe it before I get it out of its streamlined Amazon.com packaging. 

In honor of Hubbard's success and to celebrate, Mr. Bransford launched a small contest to see who could write the most compelling fictional teen diary entry.  Had to be a diary entry or letter to someone, less than 500 words, and fictional.  Pretty simple guidelines which left a whole host of ideas to be explored.

I have no idea why I immediately thought to head for a sci fi-ish entry.  I'm still discovering how I write (I don't know that ever stops), but I know that fantastical elements pull me in every time.  My husband and I joke that I have so many gadgets I would turn into one if it was possible.  Well, how interesting that would be if it was possible.  When I told him my idea, he said, "huh?"  The anti-gadget.

I wrote, revised, entered, and waited for the text message to tell me judging was done.  I actually read through the entire blog post without skipping to the names (masochistic or patient, you tell me).  My mouth dropped open to see that my entry had made an honorable mention.

This is already a long post, but here is my entry:

EJ Post #8452

Not sure when the next time I'll be writing is. Yeah, I know. How melodramatic. Could be worse.

Turns out, Mom's not real thrilled my fingernails are turning into microchips. Not sure I want to write out what Dad said as he caught me drying my mesh wraps off. All because I hate slipping my fingers into wet mesh. Point is, I'm bonked. Now it's good bye StarFaller 24, hello Aunt and Uncle Terrified-of-technology-so-I-stayed-on-Earth Griffon. Wonderful.

The worst part? My mom thinks the microchips will disappear once I'm dropped off on that wasteland of a planet. I've showed her information proving they won't but she doesn't listen. As long as it doesn't get worse were her words. I figure, why not go all the way? Tried rationalizing. Asked her, wouldn't it be helpful to have a full nanotechpath daughter on the ship? Pointed out uses where a person like me would be needed, embraced. I even tried appealing to her emotions ('cause she has enough of them) reassuring her I wanted my microchips. That they weren't a curse.

Her mind is closed off. She'd eradicate all gadgets if she could. Bit overboard in the drama department there. Dad just nods and says Mom knows best. She thinks Earth will be a better fit. She doesn't know me. Down there, they don't even allow jet propulsion packs without a license. I've got shots of the place. Trust me this is bad.

I'd try to sneak you with me, EJ, but it's dubious anyone there knows what you are. I start pulling you out willy nilly and we'd have what Mom would call a disturbance. No, the only way out of this situation is to keep my head down and act compliant. Besides, I can always start the process again when I return. When she thinks she's won. All I lose is some time. Even that's fixable.

Mom can delude herself all she wants. She's getting much needed help for her tech obsessed daughter. When I'm back, I'll be more careful. At least, I will be until the chips spread to my face. Then, I'm showing it all off. Exposed.

Until later, EJ. Keep yourself safe for me. For when I need you again.



Things that distracted me on the internet:

~ Staring at my name and clicking the linky to my entry.  Less than 1000 times I think.


Non-internet distractions:

~ I colored a decent picture of Beauty and the Beast.  My two year old appreciated it.

Accomplishments:

~ I did finish revisions on my short story.  One more read through tomorrow and I'm letting it fly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment