Zoom Zoom

I've learned over the course of the last year or so a thing or two about what motivates me.  I'm convinced I'm a great ball of rolling momentum the second I get started.  Push me down the hill and I will zoom away gathering ideas, completing tasks, creating my brains out.  If I am stopped by anything; a tree, a small child, a barfing dog - it takes me a while to get back on track.  The internet, to my surprise, is not a momentum killer for me.  Sure, it takes me away from what I was working on at that moment, but most of the time I return to my work recharged with a different idea of direction.

I don't recommend this path for everyone, just as I've had to disregard fantastic advice to others about working in quiet places.  The trick has always been to find what works for you.  It's not a bad idea at all though to experiment with ideas and try a few on just to see what you get.  Even the crazy ones that couldn't possibly work. 

Things that distracted me on the internet:

~  Massive distraction this morning.  Even my cup of tea is only half consumed.  Watched the brand spanking new Boeing 787 Dreamliner take off from Paine Field right here in Everett, Washington.  It's supposed to be landing after several hours of testing, likely at Boeing Field just to the south.  What a beautiful thing to witness.  My youngest daughter sat on my lap waving as it left the runway.
 
~  Spent lots of time on Chaotic Shiny creating characters for a novel I'm starting over.  I may salvage some of the previous work but it was one of my first attempts.  Even the plot is redone. 

Non-internet distractions:

~  The day is still early and I have a mound of laundry needing to be washed for the two outfits I am restricting my family to bringing on our trip East.  Those two outfits are headed for serious negotiations with the teenager.

Accomplishments:

~  Finished rough draft of short story and revised major plot points for starting over again novel.  Sticking to my promise not to look at newly drafted Wishful Thinking until I am settled in my coach 737-800 Alaska Air seat.  Then I can white knuckle the paper until we are cruising.

No comments:

Post a Comment